Classroom Technology Support Technician (#521)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Library, Information & Technology Services
- Search Status:
- Position Filled - not Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- We are not accepting applications for this position at this time.
The Library, Information and Technology Services (LITS) Division at Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing integrated information and technology services and resources that enable students, faculty, and staff to creatively and productively advance the College’s mission: To educate a diverse residential community of women at the highest level of academic excellence and to foster the alliance of liberal arts education with purposeful engagement in the world.
Reporting to the Manager of Media Resources, this full-time Classroom Technology Support Technician will perform a variety of duties in a team environment including audiovisual and related media and computer support services for classrooms and other teaching and learning environments.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports classroom audiovisual technology, with an emphasis on the successful integration of emerging technologies such as lecture capture, video conferencing, mobile device projection, accessibility hardware/software and energy saving technology.
- Supports classroom computer technology, including establishing and maintaining classroom desktop computer images, piloting and implementing thin client and/or virtual computing lab technology, and ensuring the reliable integration and usability of classroom computers with A/V technology.
- Digital Signage implementation; software and hardware components.
- Routine maintenance and repair of AV systems.
- AV systems inventory and documentation upkeep; electronically and paper files.
- Functions as a key member of the Media Resources team to plan, pilot, engineer, install and support a variety of classroom technology across campus, including both standardized and emerging technology.
- Trains various staff, faculty and students as required in the use of classroom technology to support teaching and learning goals.
- Acts as a first responder to classroom technology emergency calls.
- Acts as a liaison between Media Resources (MR), Community Technical Support (CTS), and Research and Instructional Support (RIS) on classroom technology integration issues
- Stays abreast of emerging classroom technologies and trends to successfully incorporate standard and emerging technology into the teaching and learning classroom experience.
- Assists Media Resources team in providing audiovisual and video support services for major campus events and event spaces.
- Provides walk-in customer support at the Media Resources service desk and other office functions.
- Assists with supervising student staff at the service desk, in the field, and during campus events.
- Assists with maintaining various administrative systems, including upkeep of inventory and equipment circulation systems, task tracking and system documentation.
- Assists with circulation of media equipment and booking requests.
- Contributes to a continuous process of assessment to ensure Media Resources’ success in advancing the College’s evolving goals in light of pedagogical, information, and technology changes.
- Assists the Director of Media Resources in researching, planning, and implementing the best AV solutions for Mount Holyoke.
- Serves as member of the Media Resources team and works collaboratively to plan and achieve LITS Division goals and priorities, participates in College and Five College committees, and engages in other professional activities related to the duties of the position.
- Ensures compliance with professional and technology standards, license and regulatory requirements, and MHC standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains a high level of quality customer service standards responding to questions and problems. Actively works with colleagues in LITS to create a welcoming and user-centered environment in which a diverse population of student, faculty, and staff can thrive.
- Develops strong working, collaborative partnerships within LITS, with the College community, Five Colleges, and others to proactively identify, recommend, facilitate, and implement appropriate and effective policies, services, resources, support, and procedures that improve the ability of the College community to accomplish its teaching, learning, research, and administrative goals.
- This position normally works 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Mon - Fri. However, occasional evening or weekend work may be required, as necessary. In some circumstances, it may be important to assist during adverse weather and emergency situations to ensure essential services and service points are covered.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a technology, media or communications-related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Minimum of two years experience providing computer technical support.
- Minimum of two years experience working with audiovisual equipment support.
- Familiarity with PC/Mac software installation, MS Office software and first level technical support skills.
- Audiovisual, video or computer system hardware assembly and installation experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze and solve technical problems
- Excellent oral and written communication, organization, and problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Creativity, with a passion for supporting a collaborative work environment. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty, students, administrators, staff, and others.
- Maintain a professional and tactful approach in all interactions, ensuring confidentiality and an individual’s right to privacy regarding appropriate information.
- Flexibility to accept, manage and incorporate change and the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel as needed to participate in consortia and professional meetings and events.
- Enthusiastic service orientation with sensitivity to the needs of users at all skill levels; the ability to convey technical information to a non-technical audience is essential.
The physical demands of the position include:
- Visual ability to see video, read computer screens and printed materials;
- Hearing and speaking abilities to effectively communicate via the telephone and in person.
- Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, and freely traverse campus.
- Ability to independently lift up to 40 lbs frequently and up to 65 lbs occasionally.
- Ability to perform bending, squatting, twisting, crawling, and climbing.
- Ability to work on ladders during the installation or repair process safely.
Mount Holyoke is committed to fostering multicultural diversity and awareness in its faculty, staff, and student body. Women and persons of color are especially encouraged to apply. The Mount Holyoke campus has grown increasingly diverse over the past fifteen years. We appreciate the complexities of living and working in a diverse world and strive to find ways to redress inequities. We particularly encourage people who share these commitments to submit their applications.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.