Director of Dining Services (#538)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Dining Services
- Search Status:
- Position Filled - not Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- We are not accepting applications for this position at this time.
Senior level, full-time management position with a competitive compensation package.
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Director of Dining Services provides leadership in developing and executing strategies to deliver high quality dining experiences and excellent customer service to students, faculty, staff, campus visitors and guests. He/she/they are responsible for achieving operational, sustainability and financial goals, ensuring safety, and maintaining program standards, including sanitation. Specific areas of oversight are a comprehensive board plan meal service, in-house bakery, warehouse, a grab n’ go operation, and a Coffee Bar/Pub. The Director of Dining Services manages approximately 100 full-time, 11 part-time and 300 student staff members and models a professional environment that is respectful, diverse, and inclusive.
The successful candidate will guide the dining program at Mount Holyoke through a significant transition. In the spring of 2016, the College broke ground on a Community Center project (www.mtholyoke.edu/communitycenter) that will centralize all dining into one location and will create a hub for campus activity. This process will involve relocating five in-dorm dining locations and one café of the existing campus center into a single facility. New building completion is anticipated in late November 2017 with the dining center in full operation by mid-January 2018. The move will require skillful preparation, communication, and execution. Once open, the Community Center will convene the entire campus community - staff, faculty, and students - with a dining experience that reflects the college’s commitment to sustainability, diversity, and social engagement.
Essential Functions / Experience Required
- Administer a multi-faceted dining program with financial responsibility for an annual budget of $8 million. Responsible for all aspects of customer service, quality control, food, labor and operating costs. Overall accountability for the operational and financial success of the Dining program.
- Manage resources to ensure quality and cost control within budgetary guidelines.
- Provide strategic vision and ongoing planning for the department including target-setting, initiative implementation, performance tracking and reporting.
- Understanding of facilities planning and maintenance. Experience with large-scale capital projects, new unit openings, and/or facility transitions strongly preferred.
- Lead, mentor, motivate, engage and develop staff to maximize their contributions, including: recruiting, assessing, training, coaching and managing performance. Facilitate opportunities to increase staff skills, productivity and morale. Create and maintain a high-performing team of employees that are valued and recognized for their service.
- Regularly benchmark dining operations (e.g. culinary innovation, sourcing, food marketing) internally and externally to determine actions and policies that will enhance collaboration, expand on sustainability efforts, and deliver a dynamic dining experience for customers.
- Develop and maintain productive, positive relationships with students, support staff, campus departments and vendors, campus groups and external program partners. Demonstrate excellent customer service by working creatively and collaboratively with staff in a responsive and respectful way.
- Resolve any and all problems and customer complaints in a professional manner.
- Maintain highest levels of safety and sanitation to comply with all state and federal standards and regulations.
- Provide oversight to a unionized labor force and management of union contract (renewal date in June 2018)
- Represent the Dining Services Department at various on-campus and external meetings and conferences to facilitate continuous growth and enhancement of dining programs.
Technical Skills / Professional Certifications / Licenses
- Clear and professional, verbal and written communication skills for diverse settings and audiences
- Effective use of standard office technology (e.g. MS Office, email, social media) as well as an interest in and ability to learn new programs
- Familiarity with industry specific platforms, event management tools, enterprise software, and other office equipment to efficiently complete tasks, coordinate group needs, and manage projects. The department currently utilizes FoodPro for inventory management.
- Current ServSafe Manager Certification or ability to achieve within (6) months of employment
- Allergen Awareness or the ability to achieve within (6) months as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Valid driver’s license
Education / Qualifications
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality or Food Management and 10 years’ experience in collegiate or other institutional dining management with 5 years senior management experience. Professional training in nutrition, sustainability, food systems, agriculture, public health or other related field a plus.
Review of applications will begin June 5, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date for this position is on or before August 1, 2017.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.