Medical Director (#640)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Health Services
- Search Status:
- Search Is Open - Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- Would you like to apply for this position?
Job Summary: The Medical Director of College Health Services has multiple areas of responsibilities including primary care, clinical and administrative supervision of nurse practitioners, director of lab services, team physician for athletics and consultant to other college departments. This position reports to the Executive Director of College Health Services and serves on the College Health Services Management Team. This position is divided 60% clinical and 40% administrative.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide primary care for students including age appropriate health maintenance and management of chronic, episodic and acute care illnesses and injury using clinical guidelines.
- Coordinate all aspects of patient care including referral for specialist consultation and management, imaging or other diagnostic testing. This includes the completion of referral forms, review of results and consultation notes and communication of results and follow up recommendations with student.
- Provide health advice and management after hours and weekend to students seeking urgent care either through nursing staff, MERT or via off site answering service. Provide on-site care one Saturday per month. Provide on call clinical support in person or via phone to on call nurse practitioner staff 24/7.
- Provide all services consistent with OSHA and BBP regulations and guidelines.
- Manage or provide clinical consultation for medically complex care.
- Prescribe and manage psychotropic medications based on protocols developed with psychiatrist of Counseling Service.
Clinical and Administrative Supervision
- Clinically supervise all NP staff, including periodic chart review for prescriptive guidelines and clinical management.
- Ensure prescriptive guidelines and collaborative agreements for the NP and nursing staff are consistent with community and professional standards of care. Nursing protocols are updated and reviewed in collaboration with the Nursing Coordinator.
- Conduct annual performance review for NP staff.
- Approve vacation and continuing education requests for NP staff consistent with the individual and departmental goals; ensuring appropriate access to scheduled appointments and urgent care.
- Develop and implement semi-annual QA projects of NP records.
- Conduct weekly clinician meetings.
- Clinically supervise Athletic Trainers, ensuring that clearance process, clinical protocols and standing orders are consistent with NATA and NCAA guidelines and sports medicine recommendations.
- Meet with AT staff every 1-2 weeks to review management of varsity and club sport injuries and oversee the QA process.
• Oversee medical clearance for varsity and club sports participants.
Director of Laboratory Services
- Working with outside Lab consultant, ensure Laboratory services, policies, procedures and staff training comply with CLIA standards and COLA accreditation
- Review and make recommendations regarding quality and cost effectiveness or testing procedures.
- Approve vacation and personal time requests for laboratory assistant.
Collaboration and Consultation
- Collaborate with AccessAbility Services, Residential Life, Campus Police, Office of Dean of Studies, Counseling Services and Dean of Students.
- Serve as back up to Executive Director of CHS on Campus Emergency Response Team (ERT).
- Provide medical consultation to student Medical Emergency Response Team (MERT) as requested.
- Serve as a member of the Eating Issues Team and Concussion Care Team.
- Serve as member of CHS Management Team to provide input on departmental policies and procedures, goals, budget requests, equipment purchases and personnel hires.
- Participate in monthly departmental staff meetings.
- Participate in Dean of Student Life meetings as schedule permits.
- Participate in college wide committees as requested.
- Maintain national certification and licensure continuing education requirements.
- Maintain DEA and controlled substance licenses.
- Maintain individual malpractice insurance coverage.
- Attend continuing education programming based on annual goals.
- Participate annually in peer review with one other college health medical director.
- Licensed to practice medicine in Commonwealth of Massachusetts with 3-5 years of experience after residency in outpatient primary care.
- Board Certified in Medicine, Family Practice or Adolescent Medicine.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in working with advance practice nurses and in multi-disciplinary teams.
- College Health, Sports Medicine and/or Women’s health experience preferred.
- CPR certification required.
- Experience with diverse patient populations.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.