Academic Department Coordinator 1/ Physics & Astronomy (#688)
- Hiring Range:
- $18.75 – $20.00 Hourly
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Physics
- Search Status:
- Search Is Open - Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- Would you like to apply for this position?
The Departments of Physics and Astronomy at Mount Holyoke College seek a department coordinator to work 37.5 hours per week during the academic year (nine months) and up to 12 hours per week during the summer (three months). This position is an integral part of the administrative team and provides administrative support and coordination to faculty in both departments, while working collaboratively across the academic division and wider Mount Holyoke community.
The Departments of Physics and Astronomy consist of 6.5 full time faculty members. The Academic Department Coordinator position supports the work of these departments, as well as several academic and curricular initiatives and partnerships, including cooperation across the Five Colleges. This position will interact with several other offices on campus and regularly with other academic departments, the Registrar’s Office, and the Office of the Dean of Faculty.
Under the supervision of the department chair, the Academic Department Coordinator will:
- Provide support to and collaborate with the department chairs and faculty members in the departments.
- Assist the department chairs and other faculty with planning and supporting programs and events, including departmental meetings, lectures/talks, and receptions. This will include making room reservations, ordering refreshments, publicizing events, setting up spaces, etc. It will require some flexibility in work hours including occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- Provide administrative support for departmental processes including but not limited to searches/new faculty hires, faculty reviews (such as tenure and promotion), external reviews, and annual reporting.
- Be responsible for greeting guests and creating a welcoming environment. Maintain a professional demeanor at all times and exhibit tact, grace, and discretion.
- Support departmental communications and assemble professional-quality electronic and hardcopy materials including reports, web materials, brochures and posters, newsletters, and other written materials.
- Update and assist with maintenance of the departments’ websites, Google Sites, social media account, and other electronic resources.
- Meticulously maintain electronic and print files, including faculty personnel files, search materials, teaching evaluations, etc.
- Track and compile data and perform basic analysis. Prepare annual reports, documents, and spreadsheets as needed.
- Prepare meeting materials, including agendas and minutes, for a variety of groups.
- Process expenses, direct payments, and reimbursements, and follow Mount Holyoke’s financial policies and procedures. This position will resolve financial questions and problems related to reimbursements, internal grants, and research accounts and provide other financial assistance as needed.
- Assist the department chairs with monitoring the departments’ budgets and endowed funding. Help prepare annual budget reports and requests.
- Hire, train, and manage student workers. Plan and delegate tasks and ensure office coverage.
- Other responsibilities include general office tasks such as filing and other clerical work, and providing general administrative support.
We seek an energetic, hardworking individual who will thrive in a demanding, fast-paced environment, and who possesses excellent organizational and time-management skills. Proven technological skills with a high level of proficiency in Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office suite (especially Word and Excel), and Google Apps are required. Three to five years of work experience in an office environment, preferably in higher education, is highly desirable. Mount Holyoke uses Moodle to manage course materials, and Drupal to maintain our websites.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills and abilities in his/her application materials:
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students and to manage relationships and collaborate with other college departments and offices.
- Strong human relations and interpersonal skills to maintain effective, professional, and cooperative working relationships with supervisors and coworkers, and all internal and external contacts including department chairs, faculty, students, and alumnae.
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently, on a wide variety of projects.
- Ability to prioritize work duties and demonstrate effective time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and transition quickly between projects to address specific situations, and to manage multiple, concurrent projects, and still meet strict deadlines.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Good judgment in decision-making and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent oral and written communication capacities, with experience creating communications as described above, as well as proofreading skills.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and courteous manner with diverse internal and external audiences.
- Ability to provide quality customer service in a responsive and helpful manner.
- Experience monitoring and reconciling budgets will be a plus.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.