Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at Mount Holyoke College. As of Monday, March 15, 2021, new vacancies are publicized on our new site, careers.mtholyoke.edu. If you are interested in viewing and applying for career opportunities, please access the new site.
If you applied for a position prior to March 15, 2021, and need to update your application, please continue to use this site.
The Human Resources and Dean of Faculty Teams are here to support you during your career search. If you have any questions, please follow up with the Human Resources Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at 413-538-2503 and the Dean of Faculty Office at 413-538-3093 or email at email@example.com
Technician - Physics and the Science Center (#699)
- Hiring Range:
- $22.50 – $24.00 Hourly
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Physics
- Search Status:
- Position Filled - not Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- We are not accepting applications for this position at this time.
The Department of Physics and the Science Center at Mount Holyoke College seek a technician to work 37.5 hours per week throughout the year. This person will support the research and instructional needs of the Physics department, focused on repair, maintenance, organization and design of equipment for classroom demonstrations, instructional labs, and research labs. In addition, this person will perform similar instrumentation and design tasks for other STEM departments and the makerspace. We anticipate that ⅔ of the work will be directly supporting the needs of the physics department, and ⅓ will be more broadly spread across the Science Center and makerspace.
Under the supervision of the physics department chair, the technician will:
- Coordinate with faculty on classroom demonstrations (e.g. organizing, preparing for class, maintaining a database)
- Repair instrumentation for instructional and research labs (e.g. minor electronic repairs)
- Assist in maintaining research labs (e.g. water chiller, nitrogen supply, pumps)
- Coordinate with the machinist, perform machining tasks when appropriate, and introduce machine shop capabilities to students
- Maintain instructional computers
- Purchase and organize supplies and equipment
We seek a motivated and collaborative individual who can work independently and learn new skills quickly. The ideal candidate will have at least a Bachelor’s degree in physics or engineering (or a related field), though consideration will be given to any candidate with relevant technical experience regardless of degree. Pay will be commensurate with degree level and/or years of experience.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills and abilities in their application materials:
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Strong human relations and interpersonal skills to maintain effective, professional, and cooperative working relationships with supervisors and coworkers
- Effective communication skills and ability to work collaboratively, as well as independently
- Ability to prioritize work duties and demonstrate effective time management skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
Preferred (not required) qualifications include:
- Experience fixing electronic equipment
- Experience machining
- CAD experience and design skills
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is a women's college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.