Application Developer and Administrator (#672)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Library, Information & Technology Services
- Search Status:
- Search Is Open - Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- Would you like to apply for this position?
The Library, Information, and Technology Services (LITS) Division at Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing integrated information and technology services and resources that enable students, faculty, and staff to creatively and productively advance the College’s academic, administrative, and co-curricular goals.
Reporting to the Head of Administrative Computing, the Application Developer and Administrator plays an integral part in the development of strategies for optimal use of SharePoint within the College, supporting members of the administrative staff in applying SharePoint based technologies to meet their goals and business objectives. This position is a member of a team that consists of project managers, systems analysts, database administrators and programmers.
This position is a member of the Technology Infrastructure and Systems Support group, which focuses on providing the technology base and its accompanying framework for the electronic resources and services that support the college. Operations within the TISS Group include data center operations, networking, web site support, business intelligence, and administrative computing.
Essential Job Functions:
- Acts as the primary developer for the College’s web portal - a community centered hub for accessing academic, administrative, and informational web applications. Designs and develops SharePoint web parts and sites. Integrates web parts, forms, and workflows with other web applications and administrative platforms.
- Responsible for the management and administration of the College’s SharePoint environment. Responsible for planning and execution of tasks related to SharePoint based initiatives (migrations, third-party solutions, integration with additional enterprise systems, and/or hosted platforms). Coordinates server and application updates with other IT staff and key campus stakeholders. Responsible for implementing and maintaining change management protocols and procedures.
- Work as part of the Administrative Computing team to assist members of the Mount Holyoke College administrative staff in applying information technology to meet their business requirements. Helps facilitate the campus-wide adoption of SharePoint as an content management and collaboration platform. Assist users by implementing SharePoint web sites, AST.NET MVC sites, migrating content into SharePoint from other sources, and developing workflows based on business processes and functional requirements.
- Create and maintain program and operational documentation of developed sites, workflows, and business decisions regarding their development.
- Stay informed with the latest developments in SharePoint, Ellucian, and other supported software tools and applications development through attendance in seminars, training, and professional associations. Remain abreast of technology trends and relate findings to business office requirements and long range planning efforts.
- Keep abreast of new trends, tools, opportunities, and campus needs. Contribute to a continuous process of assessment to ensure the TISS Department’s success in advancing the College’s evolving goals in light of pedagogical, information, and technology changes. Assist the Director in identifying, planning, and implementing the best solutions for Mount Holyoke.
- Serve as a member of the Administrative Computing team working collaboratively to plan and achieve LITS Division goals and priorities, participate in College and Five College committees, and engage in other professional activities related to the duties of the position.
- Ensures compliance with professional and technology standards, license and regulatory requirements, accessibility standards and practices, and other College standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain a high level of quality customer service standards responding to questions and problems.
- Develop strong working, collaborative partnerships within LITS, with the College community, Five Colleges, and others to proactively identify, recommend, facilitate, and implement appropriate and effective policies, services, resources, support, and procedures that improve the ability of the College community to accomplish its teaching, learning, research, and administrative goals.
- Evening and weekend work, as necessary. In some circumstances, it may be important to assist during adverse weather and emergency situations to ensure essential services and service points are covered.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience as a SharePoint Developer in the analysis, design, hands-on development and delivery of web-based applications.
- Experience with SharePoint Designer, web parts and workflow creation.
- Experience programming in ASP.NET MVC, C#, knockout.js, jQuery.
- Expertise in the following areas: Responsive user-interface design for cross-platform browsers, tablets, and mobile devices, HTML, CSS, HTML5, CSS3, IIS, PowerShell, and SQL Server.
- Understanding of core web application concepts, including utilizing web standards for accessibility, user interface design, information design and application systems architecture. Further familiarity with industry best practices, such as content strategy, responsive design, and various web services models, including cloud technologies.
- System administration and business analysis.
- Experience in support of other technical professionals.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to communicate technical concepts and issues with non-technical audiences orally and in writing
Additional Qualifications desired:
- Strong record of progressively-responsible project leadership preferably in an academic environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organization, and problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Creativity, with a passion for supporting a collaborative work environment. Commitment to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty, students, administrators, staff, and others.
- Maintain a professional and tactful approach in all interactions, ensuring confidentiality and an individual’s right to privacy regarding appropriate information.
- Flexibility to accept, manage and incorporate change and the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel as needed to participate in consortia and professional meetings and events.
- Enthusiastic service orientation with sensitivity to the needs of users at all skill levels; the ability to convey technical information to a non-technical audience is essential.
The physical demands of the position include:
- Visual ability to read computer screens and printed materials
- Hearing and speaking abilities to effectively communicate via the telephone and in person
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.