Director of International Student Advising (#717)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives
- Search Status:
- Position Filled - not Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- We are not accepting applications for this position at this time.
Mount Holyoke College seeks a dynamic, experienced, and forward-looking individual who provides leadership in the creation of policies, practices and programs that ensure that international students thrive at the college. Nearly 30 percent of our students are international students. The Director of International Student Advising will design and implement comprehensive initiatives to support international students’ academic success, working closely with the Director of the McCulloch Center and the Vice President for Student Life, advise on immigration issues, and promote opportunities for purposeful engagement between and among international and domestic students.
The Director is an integral member of the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives and collaborates with the other staff of the Center to maximize synergies. The Director is an important advocate for international students on and off campus. They collaborate closely with different offices within the Division of Student Life and with the Academic Deans. The position reports to the Director of the McCulloch Center
- Collaborate with the Division of Student Life to deliver an integrated orientation program, with attention to the particular needs of international students
- Collaborate with different campus offices and departments to ensure appropriate services for international students, including the different break periods (Thanksgiving, winter break before intersession in January, spring break)
- Co-create programs with the Vice President for Student Life and Vice President for Equity and Inclusion that leverage the exceptional international diversity of the study body for intentional engagement across difference
- Serve as Designated School Official (DSO) and Responsible Officer (RO) and advise students on visa and other immigration-related issues, in close collaboration with the PSDO/Immigration Advisor in the McCulloch Center
- Possess and maintain relevant expertise in matters of international student affairs and immigration rules and regulations pertaining to international students
- Propose and maintain the unit’s budget.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent education and experience
- 7 years of progressive experience working in international student services or other areas closely related to international education
- 5 years of experience working with SEVIS, F-1, and J-1, and in-depth knowledge of U.S. laws and regulations affecting international students, on and off-campus work, taxes, and Homeland Security concerns
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status to meet federal requirements to serve as a Designated School Official and Responsible Officer
- Cross-cultural competence, caring and friendly with a deep understanding and appreciation of a multi-cultural college community
- Understanding of international student development
- Experience in a diverse community
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Keen understanding of best practices in international student integration.
Extended experience abroad, proficiency in at least one other language besides English, and ability to assess initiatives are highly desirable. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The desired start date for the position is January 1, 2019. We will start reviewing applications on Sept 1, 2018.
Application: Please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter describing how you meet the requirements for the position
- A detailed resume
- Names and contact information for three references who are able to evaluate your qualifications for the position.
About Mount Holyoke College
Mount Holyoke is an undergraduate liberal arts college for women with 2,200 students and 220 faculty. It is located about 90 miles west of Boston in the Connecticut River valley, and is a member of the Five College Consortium consisting of Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.