Windows Systems Administrator (#821)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Library, Information & Technology Services
- Search Status:
- Position Filled - not Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- We are not accepting applications for this position at this time.
Reporting to the Head of Network, Systems, and Application Support, the Windows Systems Administrator is a key member of the team that supports the College community in using and applying information technologies to meet its educational mission. The position supports and maintains a broad range of technology and platforms centered around the College's Windows and virtual server infrastructure.
The Network, Systems, and Applications Support team is part of the larger Technology Infrastructure and Systems Support (TISS) group, which also includes the Administrative Computing, Business Intelligence, and Web Development teams. TISS collectively is responsible for providing the technology infrastructure and its accompanying framework for the electronic resources and services that support the College. This includes the College’s wired, wireless, WAN, and LAN networks, its SIS and ERPs, and associated administrative applications, a suite of CMS and custom web applications, as well as the data warehouse and a collection of strategic and operational reporting tools. To successfully manage these systems and services, TISS’s work involves close consultation with other departments within Library, Information, and Technology Services (LITS), and collaboration with the wider College community.
Essential Job Functions
Windows Systems and Applications Administration:
The Systems Administrator will be responsible for the effective provisioning, patching, configuration, and monitoring of the 190+ Windows servers and the Active Directory environment. They are also responsible for installing, securing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and administering Windows-based applications like ISS, SharePoint, and Microsoft SQL Server.
Infrastructure Support and Management:
Work with other members of the Network, Systems, and Application Support team to support and manage the College’s virtual server environment. Also partner with Network, Systems, and Application Support staff to support the College’s enterprise backup solution and SAN/NAS devices. Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, applications and key processes, and reviewing system and application logs.
Contribute to, maintain, and document system management and configuration standards. Recommend automated approaches for system administration tasks. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning. Participate in developing and maintaining disaster and business continuity recovery procedures and processes. Assist other System Administrators as needed.
Act as Tier III technical support for other technologists within LITS. Work with academic departments and administrative offices in providing consulting and advice on College technology initiatives.
Stay informed with the latest developments in supported software, tools, and services through attendance at seminars and trainings and participation with professional associations. Remain abreast of technology trends and related topics relevant technology requirements and long range planning efforts.
- Contribute to a continuous process of assessment to ensure the TISS Department’s success in advancing the College’s evolving goals in light of pedagogical, information, and technology changes. Assist in identifying, planning, and implementing the best solutions for the College.
- Develop strong working, collaborative partnerships within LITS, with the College community, Five Colleges, and others, to proactively identify, recommend, facilitate, and implement appropriate and effective policies, services, resources, support, and procedures that improve the ability of the College community to accomplish its teaching, learning, research, and administrative goals. Actively work to help LITS, and the College create an accessible and welcoming environment in which a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff can thrive.
- Ensure compliance with professional and technology standards, licensing and regulatory requirements, and MHC standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain a high level of quality customer service standards in responding to questions and problems.
- Occasional evening and weekend work, as necessary. In some circumstances, may be required to assist during adverse weather and emergency situations to ensure essential services and service points are covered.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting Windows Servers and experience with Active Directory, including ADFS, GPO, DNS, and DHCP.
- Experience working with VMware/Hyper-V or other virtualization technologies in an enterprise environment. Familiarity with Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS) technologies (NetApp, Dell/EMC, etc.) .
- Experience with data center backup and recovery solutions (ie Veeam, Commvault, Veritas, etc.) Familiarity with enterprise patch management and service/software monitoring solutions.
- Solid understanding of troubleshooting and problem analysis procedures; ability to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate technical concepts and issues with non-technical audiences orally and in writing.
Additional qualifications desired:
- Microsoft SQL Server and SharePoint administration experience.
- Experience deploying and managing servers in AWS/Azure IaaS platforms.
- Creativity, with a passion for supporting a collaborative and inclusive work environment. Commitment to work effectively with a diverse group of faculty, students, administrators, staff, and others.
- Maintain a professional and tactful approach in all interactions, ensuring confidentiality and an individual’s right to privacy regarding appropriate information.
- Flexibility to accept, manage and incorporate change and the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel as needed to participate in consortia and professional meetings and events.
The physical demands of the position include:
Ability to work with computer screens and printed materials.
Ability to effectively communicate via the telephone, email, and in person.
Ability to freely traverse campus.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.