Manager of Research Services (#922)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Library, Information & Technology Services
- Search Status:
- Search Is Open - Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- Would you like to apply for this position?
Reporting to the Director of Research and Instructional Support (RIS), the Manager of Research Services provides leadership, direction, and planning for the broad range of offerings of the Research Services group, a recently reorganized team of 4 experienced librarians. This individual proactively develops and manages the research services group, leads campus-wide strategic direction and support for information literacy and library research services, works directly with faculty and students through information literacy instruction and library research consultations as a liaison, and is responsible for ensuring a successful service of drop-in research support at the Research Help Desk.
The RIS team has recently organized into 4 areas which specialize in different areas of responsibility. In addition to Research Services, these areas include Digital Pedagogy, Collections and Scholarly Communication, and the Language Resource Center. Research and Instructional Support is part of Library, Information, and Technology Services (LITS). LITS, a merged library and technology organization, is committed to providing integrated library, information, and technology services and resources that enable a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff to creatively and productively advance Mount Holyoke College’s academic, administrative, and co-curricular goals.
This position is an exciting opportunity to develop a new team of librarians with more than 40 years of collective experience, and to lead the evolution of a more programmatic and strategic approach to the broad range of research support the group provides: service point based drop-in support, course integrated in-person instruction, online tools such as tutorials and research guides, and collection development. As part of the RIS management team, the Manager of Research Services collaborates with fellow leaders in the department, and with other passionate and collaborative LITS and campus colleagues, to coordinate research services efforts with other library, technology, and teaching and learning initiatives.
Primary Position Responsibilities
- Leads effort to integrate information literacy into the curriculum in a variety of formats and evolving service models.
- Provides leadership, management, and direction for the Research Services team.
- Collaborates with RIS, LITS, and other campus colleagues to create a welcoming, accessible, and user-centered environment both online and in person, in which a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff can thrive.
- Participates in RIS operational and strategic planning and decision making.
- Works directly with faculty and students as a liaison, providing information literacy instruction and research support.
Required education and experience
- ALA-accredited MLS, or equivalent experience with an advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience providing library research support and information literacy instruction.
- Experience reviewing and making positive changes to services, resources, and/or spaces which improve diversity, equity and/or inclusion goals.
- Demonstrated experience effectively leading group projects; balancing different roles, styles, backgrounds and perspectives.
- Understanding of collection development practices in academic libraries.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with other offices, groups, or individuals that also support teaching and learning.
- Experience managing staff.
- Experience teaching college students in any capacity.
- Experience developing and executing research services delivery models, information literacy programs, and/or curriculum development.
- Experience with one or more of the specific research tools currently in use at Mount Holyoke (EBSCO Discovery Service, Springshare LibGuides and/or LibAnswers, Zotero, Refworks).
- Experience integrating current professional best practices and recommendations into information literacy and research services delivery (for example: ACRL Frameworks, universal design for learning, inclusive pedagogy).
LITS values the following skills and abilities as key to the success of the person in this position:
- seeks to build a collaborative and culturally diverse environment;
- possesses excellent and creative interpersonal, communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- embraces meaningful change;
- works effectively in both independent and team environments and manages multiple tasks and priorities effectively;
- maintains a professional and tactful approach in all interactions and shows sensitivity to the diverse needs of users at all skill levels;
- prioritizes individuals’ rights to privacy, confidentiality, and access to information; and
- possesses an enthusiastic service orientation.
***APPLICATION DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 4, 2019******
About Mount Holyoke College
Located in South Hadley, Massachusetts, Mount Holyoke College is a highly selective, nondenominational, residential, research liberal arts college for women that is gender diverse. Mount Holyoke is renowned for educating women leaders, from medical pioneers to Pulitzer Prize–winning playwrights. The oldest of the Seven Sister colleges, we are a noted leader in liberal arts education with a mission grounded in the conviction that women can — and should — make a difference in the world. Mount Holyoke College is a member of the Five College Consortium with an active and cooperative library community consisting of Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges and the University of Massachusetts.
About Mount Holyoke’s College’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mission:
Mount Holyoke College strives to build and maintain a campus environment that is inclusive, pluralistic, and free of discrimination. Diversity, equity and inclusion efforts extend beyond specific departments and are embedded in all areas of the College. Our presidential initiative aims to further our collective commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion through strategic planning and community engagement including department DEI plans, a major annual full-day, all-campus event, and a newly expanded Equity and Inclusion Office with a Vice President level leader. In LITS, furthering the college’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is a major priority of the organization. LITS has a multi-year DEI plan, applies a DEI lens to major projects and initiatives, and every individual LITS staff member is required to have at least one DEI related performance goal every year.
Mount Holyoke is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. The College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups. We know few applicants will have a background that includes every listed preferred qualification and desired experience. We encourage everyone who is excited about this position and meets the required qualifications to apply.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.