Graphic Designer (#926)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Communications & Marketing
- Search Status:
- Search Is Open - Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- Would you like to apply for this position?
The Mount Holyoke College Office of Communications and Marketing serves as the official voice of Mount Holyoke College and works to elevate the College’s reputation by promoting the accomplishments of its faculty, students and alumnae. The Office leads the planning, coordination and execution of integrated marketing and communication plans that support the mission of Mount Holyoke College. The Office is also responsible for the oversight and development of the College website, mtholyoke.edu, and delivers a wide range of traditional, digital and social media services.
The Office of Communications and Marketing is seeking a graphic designer to help steward the Mount Holyoke brand through engaging and elevated design platforms across print and all digital applications. Under the direction of the director of branding and creative services, the graphic designer conceptualizes, designs and produces materials for a variety of communications channels, including print, digital, social media and video. The graphic designer works within the College’s established brand aesthetic across all communication channels, while bringing a fresh and innovative approach to the work.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Serves as one of the primary design resources for the College, working on a range of projects for print, digital, social media, video and other forms of digital multimedia
- Leads large and small projects from concept to completion with oversight from Director of Branding and Creative Services
- Helps to manage the office’s photo library, including uploading, tagging and organizing all new and existing photo assets
- Collaborates closely with other members of the creative services and communications team to support a wide range of marketing and communications needs
- Interfaces routinely with other College offices throughout all aspects of a project’s development
- Works directly with and helps manage student workers assigned to projects
- Works directly with print vendors and other external production resources
- Works directly with external creative partners such as freelancers, photographers, videographers and writers
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of design and branding trends within and outside of higher education
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of a BFA in graphic design from an accredited arts college or design program
- 3-5 years of experience in graphic design with strong conceptual, design and typography skills
- Thorough knowledge of full Adobe suite, in particular InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Lightroom
- Experience with website design and UX, mobile design experiences, and email and newsletter design best practices preferred
- Foundational knowledge of CSS and HTML a plus
- Print production experience preferred
- Photography and/or videography experience a plus
- Illustration and/or video animation experience a plus
- Experience with video post-production tools such as Premiere or Final Cut Pro a plus
- Familiarity with digital signage platforms and related technologies a plus
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, manage multiple priorities and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive attitude and approach to problem-solving and addressing client feedback
- Ability to take creative direction and feedback in a constructive manner
- Occasional weekend and evening work required
Effective January 1, 2020 all new hires will be required to complete the background check process prior to commencing their Service Activity (employment) with the College. All offers of employment and continued employment at Mount Holyoke College are contingent upon satisfactory results of thorough background checks. For additional information about the Mount Holyoke College Background Check Policy, please visit Background Checks.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.