Skilled Laborer -Grounds (#940)
- Date Posted:
- Staff in Facilities Management
- Search Status:
- Position Filled - not Accepting Applications
- Apply Now:
- We are not accepting applications for this position at this time.
INTERNAL POSTING: SKILLED LABORER
POSTING PERIOD: November 18, 2019 – November 22, 2019
Mount Holyoke College has a full-time, 40 hours per week, year-round opening in its Facilities Management Department for a Skilled Laborer.
Work under the supervision of the Grounds Supervisor.
The primary focus of this position is the care of the campus landscape which includes: 'routine Grounds work'; planting; pruning; pest control; campus and athletic field turf maintenance and snow removal. This is a year round position and other duties will likely include maintenance of roads, walks driveways and other hardscaped areas; floor maintenance, moving materials throughout the campus and operating and maintaining hand and power equipment. As well as any of the other tasks assigned to any of the Skilled Laborer team members.
Preference will be given to candidates who are: knowledgeable about plant material; synthetic turf fields, soil fertility; and grass/turf problems. Preference will be given to candidates who have: a pesticide license; a hoisting license; or a two year degree in Horticulture or a related field of study, (or an equivalent level of knowledge in the field). Preference may be given to candidates who are familiar with the operation of snow plows, loaders, irrigation systems, and chainsaws.
This position requires an enthusiasm to perform a broad spectrum of job duties (sometimes in inclement weather); the ability to work effectively as an individual and as a member of a team; and availability for overtime and call-in assignments. Qualified applicants must have 5 years hands-on experience in the landscape field. In addition, the successful candidate should display a willingness to work with other departments on an as-needed assigned basis.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Balancing, carrying, pulling/pushing, grasping, repetitive movement, standing, bending, reaching, sitting, twisting and lifting.
- Ability to physically perform manual tasks, climb stairs, lift, climb ladders, and bend.
- Ability to lift (50) pounds unassisted, able to stoop or stand for prolonged periods of time.
- May have contact with chemicals and fumes, wet or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and extreme weather related to heat or cold.
- Must occasionally work in high and precarious places.
- Operate machinery, riding mowers, snow blowers, small engines, electrical and portable hand tools, and handling sharp objects.
- Noise level in some work environments can occasionally be loud.
- Must be able to obtain your Genie Lift certification.
- Must be able to obtain your Hosting License.
- Must be driver credentialed and operate College vehicles
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to multicultural awareness and cultural diversity in its faculty, staff and students.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to enriching the educational experience it offers through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff members. Mount Holyoke seeks to recruit and support a broadly diverse team who will contribute to the college's excellence, diversity of viewpoints and experiences, and relevance in a global society. In furtherance of institutional excellence, the College encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups, including faculty, staff, and administration of color, diverse gender identities, first generation college students and individuals who have followed non-traditional pathways to college, and individuals with a demonstrated leadership commitment to including diverse backgrounds and perspectives.